Sunday, October 14, 2012

"SPoOkY" Box Letters Decoration


 A fun way to share the "spirit" of October is to spell it out! Here is an ensemble of Snapdragon Snippet's 3D letter boxes. Hanging around are some other dimensional embellishments, as well: 3D ghost & bat, scallop pumpkin, plus flat web and spider, and improvised witch's hat.

I began by exploring letter box sizes. How big could I enlarge that 'S' and still get the side flange sections onto my 12" card stock? Once that was determined, I sized the other letters somewhat smaller, and different from each other. I modified the upper right "arm" of the K to be shorter. I cut only the front side interior accent shapes using various prints, with all boxes themselves cut from black textured card stock.



Here is a closeup of the 3d ghost, and the miniature witch's hat.

















And a closeup of how the non-dimensional spider and web were trimmed and attached across the largest 'O'.










Finally, a closeup of the 3d pumpkin and bat.












One suggested improvement to my experiment: since size changes affect the depth of the boxes, rotary-trim flanges to uniform size to match the shortest width before assembly begins. 

Another trick: because rounded letters will fall over if not propped or anchored, I made a base of 1/4" thick black foam core and glued the letters to each other and to the base. Black wire placecard holders help the ghost and bat to "float". I used Distress Ink to shade paper edges.

Here are the Silhouette designs I used:
From Snapdragon Snippets - 3d s, p, o, k & y letter boxes, 3d bat, 3d ghost, 3d witch hat. From Pebbles In My Pockets - scalloped pumpkin. From Lori Lynn Whitlock - 8 fall leaves. From Silhouette unattributed designs - corner spider web & Halloween spider.

If you would like more information about my re-sizing of the various designs, email me (Jodi) with that request: hearthsewnpatterns(at)yahoo(dot)com .

8 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME!!!!!!!!
    Love it all - and great tip about trimming to make everything resized the same thickness, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you like it. Happy to hear from you. Jodi

      Delete
  2. So cute! Looks like you had lots of fun putting this together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing all of the assembly and file info. This really is toooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOw I love this so much!!
    Deb C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute. Can you share what the dimension are of the finished project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question to ask. The widest (side to side) measurement is just under 24". The tallest dimension to the top of the ghost is 10 inches, but the tallest letter (S) is around 7".

      Delete